Thursday, March 25, 2010

Panties in a Knot

Here is a response to my s3x posting on the Google Groups rec.bicycles.tech group:


Congratulations on adopting what may be the least convenient convenience feature in the cycling world. If I'm going to have to pedal every stroke of the way, then what's the benefit compared the much more pure and authentic and less expensive "fixed-foot" walking?  And why would I want changeable gears to make it easier for me, if I already declined the most obvious and effective means of making my ride easier and more efficient?
This is sort of like those stick-on "sandals" that come back aroundevery so often.  Like, what's wrong with either wearing some damn shoes or just going barefoot?
Three-speed hubs with coaster brakes have been available continuously for something on the close order of one hundred years.  They doeverything your new toy does-- only better, more cheaply,  more safely, and more efficiently-- except bite your fingers off.  (Like other fixed gears, the S3X is really good for that.)


Chalo


Wow. 


And my reply:


Chalo,

That's the thing. You don't have to change anything. Ride your bike. Have fun. Don't get your panties in a twist because people do different things or think differently than you. It's funny how some ofthe bike crowd get when you don't have/do/think/want/ EXACTLY what they do. It's also sad how they sneer at other people who have their own ideas. 
I've ridden fixed almost exclusively for years (way before it became the latest hip thing to do for a couple months). I know what it is and I like the simplicity and the purity also. 3 speed coaster brake hubs don't do what this does, though. They freewheel. And they brake when you back-pedal. You know that. What makes you say that's the same thing as a 3 speed fixed hub?
No one will never convince you that this is a good thing. Your prejudice is obvious by your tone and choice of belittling words. This hub allows me to ride my favorite bike on my commute, which includes knee popping climbs and high RPM descents I don't want to suffer through every day with one gear.


My choice, not yours.


Regards,
Vance


I said that some people will revile you for not hating this hub enough!



3 comments:

  1. Don't let 'em get you down. I've been enamored with the concept of this hub since it was first rumored, all those years ago. I'm hoping you continue to share your experiences with it and in so doing simplify the conversion process for me, once I decide to take the plunge.

    Chalo may not approve of our choices, but who cares!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to hear more about you using this hub. Are you still a happy camper? I have one on order and it should be here in a week or so. Thanks for taking the time to post this blog, it's very helpful. Take care!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I just noticed the new comments. I was fairly certain until now that I was writing to an audience of 0. Good luck with your new S3X, and please let me know how it goes.
    Yes, I still like the hub and am enjoying my rides on it. I have much more flexibility as far as the routes I can take now. As with any different and new piece of equipment, there are subtle as well as the obvious changes in the way you ride. I'm learning as I go.

    ReplyDelete