Wednesday, March 10, 2010

3rd Ride: The Commute

Well, I think I'm going to contradict most of what I said last time. The p-i drag isn't that much. I think what happened is that I was too cautious about downshifting, and would wait too long, then get bogged down by the stiff headwind and the fact that I'd...well...bogged down.

The drag from the planetary gears didn't seem to be anything much today. I rode the reverse commute, up the big climb on Edgewood Rd and on to Canada. The low gear wasn't low enough to be comfortable esp. toward the top where it gets steeper, at least at my current state of condition. Should I slap on a bigger cog?  Or exercise more?  Hmmmm.

Let's leave it as is for now. I am in miserable condition, and need to get stronger. I'm also old, too heavy, stressed out, and probably drink more sake and red wine than is good for me.

But, hey! This is temporary! Spring is here! I'll ride my butt off!

Soon, I'll be seeing that climb as a mere bump in the road.

Downshift for that!!!? Pffffft!

Or not.

But! The bike is working out. The lash-bump was a little annoying today, but I'd never ridden a steep downhill on this hub and there's probably technique that will lessen the bump.

All in all? Very pleased. This is really what I wanted, less the little problems that really aren't any big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment